We’re right in the middle of exam season so why not try a quick, easy and comforting meal –our Not-Quite-Chicken Curry.
Why’s it not-quite-chicken curry? Because it’s chicken curry, but not quite. We’ve swapped the chicken for a veggie replacement – better for the environment, but you still get that good protein source. Combined with the carbohydrates, fibre, vitamins and minerals of the other ingredients (plus getting two of your five a day veggies), you can’t go wrong.
This month’s Meal of the Month was created by Emily and Isabelle!
Ingredients (Serves 2)
- Asda chicken tikka masala curry powder. 2 tbsp.
- Natural yoghurt. 6 tbsp.
- Quorn chicken pieces. 2 handfuls.
- Red pepper. ½.
- Salad tomatoes. 2 medium.
- Small onion. ½ the vegetable.
- Wholegrain basmati rice. 1 portion, roughly 60g.
- Squeezed lemon. ½.
- Olive oil. 1 tsp.
- Fresh coriander. 2 heaped tbsp.
- Pour rice into a saucepan, put to one side.
- Mix yoghurt, lemon and curry powder together in a bowl.
- Chop tomatoes, pepper, onion and coriander.
- Stir Quorn chicken pieces into yoghurt mixture until coated.
- Add water to rice until the saucepan is ¾ full, bring to the boil. When boiling, time the rice for 25 minutes.
- Add olive oil to the frying pan, fry onions for 3-4 minutes until light golden. Add Quorn chicken pieces to the frying pan. Turn up to a high heat. Add tomatoes and peppers.
- Stir for approx. 10 minutes, until Quorn has softened.
- Pour rest of yoghurt mixture into the saucepan, stir until bubbling. Turn down to a low-heat, until rice is ready.
- After 25 minutes/when the rice is ready, drain and pour onto a plate.
- Turn the heat of the frying pan up until curry is bubbling. Serve and enjoy. Sprinkle chopped coriander on top.
Nutrition Facts & Guidelines
- Protein source.
- Low in saturated fats.
- Gluten free.
- Carbohydrate source.
- High in fibre gluten-free & cholesterol free.
- Sources of magnesium, phosphorus, selenium, thiamin, niacin and vitamin
Red peppers, tomatoes & onion:
- Rich in vitamins and minerals.
- Provide two portions of your five a day!